Friday, October 7, 2016

"How we found us" Love made perfect by the hospital walls. Ifeoluwa & Ope #TheBabs2016 #WhenTheOkoyasParty







People get trained to care, to sense and to perceive what others feel, but for some it all just come naturally. That says it for Ope and Ife, from the intuitive sense that brought about their meet in a place and time that complemented both destinies.

Especial when the factors that tick off interests are what became the bedrock of their ‎bond, you realize why fate goes as far as defying the odds to play it's course. Same profession, handy years in age difference, yet the vibes could not be put to bay until Ife became 'bae'.

For a moment, ignore the white coats, the stethoscopes, the Great Ife's great pressure-sphere, the thousand and one reasons not to go for the younger femme fatale, and let Ope and Ife drive you through Wonderland with their tales of "How we found us" as they walk down the aisle this morning.

Groom

Being on call daily for several weeks is enough to dampen anyone's morale. I was trudging back from the casualty towards the wards when I looked up to behold this tall dark, lady walking towards me. It has been over four years now, but I can still remember every little detail like it was just yesterday. She was wearing a black gown with silver embroidery at the top; taking strides like she was careful not to displace the air around her. Each step towards me gradually erased all traces of weariness. I was forced to wake from my trance when she suddenly branched off to greet her friends. 

I did a mental assessment and figured she should be a part 5 medical student, since I was pretty familiar with those in their final year. This new development wasn't particularly good news, as there was no avenue for direct contact to know her better without it coming across as "child abuse." Also, I have a lot of self-respect. I was not ready to be a topic of discussion amongst these small boys and girls...Lol.


I bided my time, over the months I came across her a couple of occasions. I did some surveillance and discovered she drove a car with OAU staff sticker. This should make tracking her much easier, I thought.
After a seemingly long wait, she was in final year; therefore giving me enough grounds to initiate innocent contact. OPE O!!! 

At the clinics one day, she walked past and a colleague called her and asked me to her hearing. "Don't you think she is pretty?", He asked. I smiled to myself and said, "she is." All this while, my colleague didn’t know of my intentions. 

Three days later, I saw her at a wedding and walked up to her at the car park, but she struggled to remember me. I wasn't going to give up due to a small hiccup. Incidentally, we sat across each other. Going by her accounts, she claimed my eyes never left her. LMAO! However, I wonder how she noticed if it wasn't that she was busy ogling me too. LOL!  

Gradually, we started saying hello at work and chatting a little. She eventually rotated through my unit and then SHE HAD THE LEGAL GROUNDS TO COLLECT MY CELLPHONE NUMBER AND I COLLECTED HERS. [Winks]. As soon as she graduated, I asked her to be my bae. From that moment, I could not wait to spend the rest of my life with her. I knew I had found my PACEMAKER; The Special One that God made with me in Mind. Exactly all I ever wanted in a woman. Here we are, in a little while we will become one.

AT LAST, MY LONELY DAYS ARE OVER!


Bride


I think I first took note of him at a wedding in December 2012 (although he claims to have known me since 2011). I was to represent my parents at the wedding, but I was very reluctant, as I was going without company. I was just getting out of my car when he approached me and tried reminding me of how he had met me during the week in the hospital.

Well, I felt he was one of those guys that wanted to take advantage of the pretty girl, so I just ignored him and went into the venue of the event. Funny enough, he happened to have sat in a seat where he had a good view of me, and this made me extremely uncomfortable as I could feel his eyes on me. After the ceremony, I left and entirely forgot about him.

Some weeks later, I started encountering him in the hospital more and more often. I did my research and found out he was one of the senior doctors, and that he was not a bad person after all. I rotated through his unit and noticed he had some interest in me, but he tried hard not to make it obvious. I happen to have been the group rep, and I remember giving him my number so we could organize some tutorial classes for the group.

Our relationship progressed from occasional greetings via text message and routine chats to a few hangouts, till he eventually spelt out his intentions. I got to know him, and he scared me because he was all I ever wanted my man to be. It all seemed too perfect. I searched deeply looking for that significant unpleasant trait that would put me off, but I never found any because none existed. At the time, I was already falling for him. I would constantly check my phone waiting for his messages and after they do arrive, I would then struggle hard not to reply instantly. 

Fast forward to October 2015, my friends were in Ibadan for an exam, and we had planned an after-exam hangout (nothing suspicious about that). Since I had written mine the week before, I babysat my friend's child at home while his parents went for the exam. They returned late in the evening with some other friends to hang out together. I was so tired by this time.

It took a while for us all to get ready. It was about 8 p.m that night, and I was reluctant to go out that late. Besides, I didn't think my parents would agree to us leaving home at that time. Surprisingly, they didn't object. They simply told us to have fun (Meanwhile, I did not know my friends had explained to them that a proposal was coming up that night). So we set out and met some crazy traffic. I kept telling them we should return home, but they insisted on us hanging out that night (I still did not know they had a plan).

We got to the mall at about 9 pm, but as much as I was frustrated, the atmosphere brought me back to life again. My friends chose a posh restaurant, which I completely opposed because we drove all the way to have fun, not have a formal dinner. They insisted, and there was little I could do. At this point, I was getting rather suspicious that something was going on, but I really could not place it. All this while I was chatting with le boo and he told me he was hanging out with an old time friend too. He offered that I speak with the friend, but I declined. It was past 9 pm, and I didn't except le boo to be in town.

We ordered food in a clumsy manner, and this got me even more suspicious. But I still could not understand what was happening. We were all chatting, taking pictures, making videos while our food was being served. Suddenly, a large covered bowl was placed directly in front of me, and I reacted straight away as to why. I opened the dish only to find a ring on the plate. I covered it immediately and tried to confirm what I just saw. (It all happened within split seconds such that I can't give an orderly download of how exactly it happened)

Le boo suddenly shows up out of nowhere and starts saying all manners of sweet things. I was shocked and didn't know what to do. He then went on one knee and asked me to be his wife. (I exactly remember how this part played though...hehe). I looked around only to see the friend he was hanging out with and my younger brother who was supposed to be at school. I couldn't believe they had both travelled down for this. I immediately said yes and the rest is history.

Today, it looks like just yesterday when it kicked off, and the sparkle couldn't be more incredible. We are both so excited to start our forever together.


Ife's Friend. Joy Isokpehi

Ife has been a great friend to my husband and I. It so happened that when Ope wanted to take his relationship with our friend to the next level, he realized he needed an insider to give his number one a surprise proposal. He discussed with my hubby on how they needed to work something out to surprise Ife. 

The perfect opportunity came about when we had some exams to write in Ibadan and had to put up at the amiable Okoya’s home. It was a full house as some of our friends came along with my hubby and I. After the exam that day, we decided to hang out that evening. We had called up a couple of mutual friends to join us and have some fun. All this while, Ife was all lovey-dovey with Ope on the phone thinking he was back in Ile-Ife (exactly what we wanted her to believe). 

We arrived at the mall and walked into the lovely Chinese restaurant we are planned for the proposal. As all our cameras were on Ife, she could sense the spotlight on her, and she began to feel uneasy. She wondered what was going on, but continued pressing her phone, chatting with her boo. As our meals were being served, a waiter came bearing a plate covered with a large bowl placed it before Ife. I am sure she taught it was roasted chicken. Immediately she opened it, Ope just appeared right before her on one knee out of nowhere, and she was staring at a beautiful diamond engagement ring. OMG! You should have seen the joy amidst the shock on Ife's beautiful face.

At that point, Ope started saying all the sweet nothings. I remember he told her she was the pacemaker of his heart, and he couldn’t imagine life without her. Finally, he popped the question, and my dear Ife said YES. The rest they say is history. I am so happy for you two. I wish you both the very best of marital bliss.














1 comment: